Friday, February 21, 2014

Nancy Drolet


Nancy Drolet had a storied career, but I always think of the 1997 world championships when I hear her name.

Canada captured their 4th consecutive world title that year, and they can thank Drolet's hat trick heroics in a gritty overtime game vs. the United States.

Drolet scored twice in regulation and then, at 12:59 of OT, scored the 4-3 game winner.

“I didn't want to say to myself, ‘Can I give more?’ after the game,” Drolet explained afterwards. “I just gave all I got, and I got three goals.”

Drolet did it again in 2000. Her slap shot at 6:10 of overtime hit American goalie Sara de Costa in the shoulder and trickled over the line to give Canada a 3-2 victory and their sixth straight world titles.

Drolet, from Drummondville, Quebec, was also a notable softball player who played on Canada's national team in 1990 and 1991. By 1993 she was named as Canada's junior athlete of the year.

Her career with Canada's national women's team last from 1992 through 2000. She won a silver medal at the Nagano Olympics in 1998 and is a six time world champion.

Nowadays Drolet is an orthotherapist and massage therapist in Drummondville.

No comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP